Welcome to the Bachelor of Social Work
This BSW prepares you for entry - level generalist practice. It develops competence to exercise judgment and skill for intervention in practice with individuals, small groups, organizations, and communities. The BSW equips you to work with people who are encountering problems related to personal or social circumstances.
As one of the oldest Schools of Social Work in the nation, the Indiana University School of Social Work has provided quality social work education since 1911. Our Bachelor of Social Work program (BSW) is accredited, and students are taught by nationally recognized, full - time faculty and seasoned practitioners. Consequently, BSW graduates are equipped with knowledge, values, and skills to enter into a variety of social work practice fields.
The four - year degree program prepares students for generalist social work practice. It helps students develop the competence to apply knowledge, values, and skills to practice with individuals, small groups, organizations, and communities. The BSW degree equips the practitioner to work with people who are encountering challenges related to personal or social circumstances. In addition, qualified graduates may apply for advanced standing to the IU South Bend School of Social Work or other MSW programs nationwide. Advanced standing status reduces the length and cost of the MSW degree.
Social Workers promote social and economic justice and are involved with people of many cultures and ethnic backgrounds. They are prepared to work with people to identify and resolve problems related to their personal or social circumstances. This can take place in a variety of settings, including hospitals, nursing homes, schools, youth centers, mental health or substance abuse facilities, just to name a few. They can work with individuals or groups, often with the cooperation of several social service agencies to accomplish this goal. Social workers are always advocates for children or adults who are victims of abuse. They also work with community leaders and organizations to develop policies that contribute to building and strengthening the social resources of our society.
When selecting a degree program, you face many important decisions that will affect your future. We at the IU South Bend School of Social Work are prepared to help you with this process by highlighting some reasons why social work at Indiana University is a good choice for your future.
- Social work is both a challenging and rewarding profession, and it continues to be one of the faster growing professions in the U.S. economy.
- Social work "is the only undergraduate major that educates students to be professional social workers. BSW graduates are prepared for immediate entry into direct human service professional positions – ready to excel in careers in social work and ready to do post - graduate work at the master's degree level" (National Association of Social Workers).
- Based on advanced degrees and years of experience, incomes from social work positions range from $25,000 to over $80,000.
- Social workers provide services to individuals, families, groups, and communities. They are often involved in organizational planning and management.
- Some of the settings in which social workers may be employed include: Advocacy programs, aging services, children and youth services, community action agencies, criminal justice agencies, disability service agencies, domestic violence programs, hospices, income maintenance programs, international relief programs, public health agencies, schools, substance abuse programs, the list is a long one.
- Part of the students' educational experience includes hands - on opportunities to practice skills learned in the classroom. The Bachelor of Social Work program requires two internships where students interface with actual clients in agency settings. They also have opportunities to do service learning in several of their courses; a feature very much appreciated by students and community members alike. As a result, students are well prepared to enter directly into a professional work setting upon graduation, or continue on toward a master's level graduate education. Purpose + Change in the World + Improving Lives + Options = A career in Social Work
Jan 24th at 12:00pm St Francis Health Employer Session
Come find out what St Francis Health has to offer.
Jan 30th at 12:00pm BSW Information Session
Jan 30th at 3:30pm BSW Information Session
Feb 7th at 12:00pm Talk Saves Lives – General Suicide Prevention
Speakers to talk at brown bag lunch.
Feb 7th at 12:00pm Voices from the Field
Feb 23rd at 12:00pm MSW/BSW Student Association Self-Care Workshop
Feb 27th at 12:00pm BSW Information Session
Feb 27th at 5:30pm BSW Information Session
Feb 28th at 12:00pm Community Health Employer Session
Come find out what Community Health has to offer.
Mar 27th at 12:00pm BSW Information Session
Mar 27th at 5:30pm BSW Information Session
Apr 1st at 12:00pm Alumni Association Workshop on Professional Licensing for Social Workers
Apr 3rd at 10:00am IUSSW Career Fair
Join us for our 2017 IU School of Social Work Career Fair! Meet with employers currently seeking recent social work degree graduates!